Polls Favor Harris, Newsom, Whitmer Over Biden in Potential Trump Matchups


President Joe Biden’s performance in the presidential debate last Thursday was widely criticized. At one point, he veered off-topic, discussing illegal immigration when asked about Trump’s pro-life stance. He also made a controversial statement about women needing access to abortion due to being “raped by their brothers and sisters.”

Following the debate, reports emerged suggesting that other Democrats were being considered as potential replacements for Biden in the presidential race.

A CNN poll released on Tuesday indicated that Vice President Kamala Harris is performing better against former President Donald Trump in a hypothetical 2024 matchup compared to Biden. The poll showed 45 percent of registered voters would support Harris, while 47 percent would support Trump, and 5 percent would vote for someone else.

In a Trump vs. Biden scenario, Trump has 49 percent support to Biden’s 43 percent, with 4 percent opting for someone else.

When pitted against California Gov. Gavin Newsom, Trump garners 48 percent support to Newsom’s 43 percent, with 7 percent choosing another candidate.

In a matchup between Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and Trump, Trump leads with 47 percent to Whitmer’s 42 percent, and 7 percent of voters would choose someone else.

Respondents were asked if they believed Democrats had a better chance of winning the presidency in 2024 with Biden or with another nominee. A significant 75 percent felt Democrats had a better chance with someone else, while only 25 percent believed Biden was their best option.

The poll, conducted from June 28 to June 30, surveyed 1,274 respondents and has a margin of error of +/- 3.5 percent at the 95% confidence level.

David Chalian of CNN noted that Biden supporters are primarily voting against Trump, whereas Trump supporters are voting for Trump.

Biden’s debate performance has fueled speculation about the Democratic Party potentially replacing him. According to The Hill, Harris, Newsom, and Whitmer are all being considered as possible replacements. A YouGov poll conducted right after the debate found nearly half of Americans think the Democratic Party should replace Biden in the 2024 election.

Madeline Leesman
Madeline Leesman
Web Editor. Madeline writes on all topics, with a particular interest in the pro-life issue, LGBT+ issues, immigration, big tech, and the coronavirus pandemic. She graduated from Belmont University in December 2019 as a double major in journalism and public relations.

Latest stories


Related Articles

Leave a reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
Captcha verification failed!
CAPTCHA user score failed. Please contact us!
Continue on app